• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

political views = termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10pin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was given the choice to stop participating in local political coversations/campaigns (outside of work) or be terminated from my job. It seems that at least 2 people came in called my branch manager and threatened to pull their accounts if I continued to work. I believe one was a candidate in a local election that got spanked in the primary and the other works for the city (and the city account may have also been on the hook).

My questions are this, I have had my attorney send a letter and the process is underway to get the names and details of the conversations with my manager - if the person I think is one of the responsible parties and works for the city, what direction would be most prodctive for me? It was plainly stated that my political views outside of work were the cause of my temination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are only three jurisdictions I know of where political activities are protected under discrimination laws, and Ohio is not one of them.

I'm not entirely sure that this couldn't be seen as a violation of public policy. On the other hand, in the absence of a specific law offering protection I'm by no means certain that it would.

Since you already have a lawyer you would be best served by asking him this question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">