• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Polygraph Required, But No Economic Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wendy413

Tennessee

I handle the accounts receivable and payables for a small company. I worked for the company until the day before I delivered my child via C-Section. The last day I worked, the company received a check for a refund. Thinking that I would be back to work rather soon (2-4 days because the delivery was thought to be very uncomplicated), I took the check with me along with the rest of my daily work. When my delivery had complications, I was delayed from returning to work as soon as I had planned. Today was my first day back at work (after a week and a half leave), I took the check with me and planned to deposit it into the company bank account as usual. My boss inquired about the check and its whereabouts before I could deposit the money. He instead took it to the bank himself. Every penny was properly accounted for.

I had a meeting with the owners of the company this evening and they are requiring me to submit to a polygraph test in order to keep my job. If there is no economic loss (since everything was properly accounted for) can they lawfully require this of me?

pattytx

maybe. I searched the state DOL website for "polygraph" and the only hits I got were the rules for examiners. :confused:

Makes no sense to me, what do they think they're going to get you to "admit" you did? :confused:

JETX

If there is no economic loss (since everything was properly accounted for) can they lawfully require this of me?
Simple answer... yes.

I have to say... If this were truly as innocent as you claim, why would a poly be a concern??

Wendy413

I'm concerned about my hormones and emotional state since I just had a baby. I don't want anything interpretted wrong if it's just my hormones causing changes during the polygraph.

JETX

I'm concerned about my hormones and emotional state since I just had a baby. I don't want anything interpretted wrong if it's just my hormones causing changes during the polygraph.
Though post-pregnancy hormones are not shown to effect the integrity of the poly, check with the examiner so that he can factor that into the test if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">