• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

polygraph test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5kidsmom

He agreed to take one from his employer. He has a known criminal background and is worried about taking the test regardless of his innocence. Can a guilty conscience cause false results? I guess were just worried about the accuracy of the test? He has been sober and been in no trouble for 5 years. He dropped the deposit in the bank drop (he was seen on the atm camera, but only enough to show he was there). The bank is denying any accountability. He thought it was over when the tapes were reviewed. Another deposit came up missing in another location by another manager and he said the same story about dropping the deposit. Now they are both taking tests wednesday.

Last edited:

Beth3

An employer's ability to even ASK employees to take a polygraph test is extremely limited. A federal law, the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, severely limits an employer's ability to use polygraph tests. Some States have similiar laws which make it all but impossible for an employer to request polygraph testing, much less have a polygraph test performed.

I think your husband should do some on-line research on the EPPA and contact his State's Department of Labor to inquire whether Ohio has a similar law before this goes any further and your husband is advised on his legal rights to refuse to take the test.

Personally, I would not submit to such a test (even though I was 100% innocent) unless I was absolutely convinced of the expertise of the person administering the test and perhaps not even then. I think your husband needs to research his legal rights before deciding whether he wishes to agree to this. A poorly administered test could result in his losing his job and being accused of stealing. He has a lot on the line here.

5kidsmom

polygraph

Thankyou...he was afraid if he did not agree to the test that he would look guilty. Is there a way to know the expertise of the administrator. We cannot maintain our lives if he loses this job. We would lose our house.

Last edited:

5kidsmom

EPPA guidelines

I read about the EPPA. It stated that the employee should recieve in writing a list of things, 48 hours before scheduled test. If rules are not followed it mentions a $10,000 penalty. Who does this go to? It doesn't look like the employer is going to meet the deadline! What should we do. Do we tell them, do we tell the polygraph administrator? He is not required by Ohio Law to take the test.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">