• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Portal to Portal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kfberry

I live in California and do service for a National Co. If I recall aprox. 8 years ago I believe some Technicians from Whirlpool Corp. sued the company because they were not being payed from the time they left thier home to the time they returned home. Infact they were getting payed at the time they arrived at thier first call and payroll stopped when they completed thier last call of the day. If they drove 1 or 2 hours home or to thier first call it was deemed to be on thier own time.
Could you direct me to where I could get more info on I believe it was called "Portal to Portal"?

Thanks, Ken Berry

wtd

I don't know anything about the case you're referring to but the term you are referring to is indeed 'portal to portal', and in union parlance a portal is wherever you normally show up for work.
I.E: If you're an electrician you might report to work at a shop, but work several jobs in different locations during a day ( like you as a service man) and if you get paid portal to portal you get paid from the time you leave the shop 'til the time you return to the shop. But if you don't work out of a shop, like a carpenter, say, usually you don't get paid portal to portal - the clock starts when you hit the job (usually the only one of the day).

Sorry I couldn't answer about the case, but thought I'd confirm your suspicions about the term,
wtd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">