• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Position elimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ketsch5

I live and work in WA state. For 4 years, I worked as a supervisor for a company. Last October I was informed that my position had been eliminated due to business conditions. I was offered a lower paying hourly non-exempt position in another department, which I accepted.

Recently, I found out that they are going to refill my old supervisor position from internal candidates within the company. I was not informed of this; I had to find out "via the grapevine".

My questions are:
1-Isn't there a time limit that they must wait before refilling a position that was "eliminated"?
2-Are they required to at least offer me the position or to compete for the selection process?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

las365

I live and work in WA state. For 4 years, I worked as a supervisor for a company. Last October I was informed that my position had been eliminated due to business conditions. I was offered a lower paying hourly non-exempt position in another department, which I accepted.

Recently, I found out that they are going to refill my old supervisor position from internal candidates within the company. I was not informed of this; I had to find out "via the grapevine".

My questions are:
1-Isn't there a time limit that they must wait before refilling a position that was "eliminated"?
2-Are they required to at least offer me the position or to compete for the selection process?
The answers to your questions are no, and no. The employer is free to structure its personnel as it wishes and does not have to offer you the opportunity to apply for or consider you for any position. This sounds like one of those situations that seems unfair, but is definitely not contrary to any law covering private employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">