• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible grounds for discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adamk2003

State, Oregon:

I wanted to know if my mother has a potential case for discrimmination in her workplace. Recently, she has been written up for several violations by her store director. She currently works for a large grocery store chain. This week she was written up for the following issues:

*must improve gross sales
*Grow Sales
*Cleanliness- organization of work area
*Cleanliness0 organization of sales floor
*OUT OF STOCKS

There are a few other vague comments on the "warning notice." The first, second, and fifth comment are pretty much out of her control. She has been constantly harassed about her "out of stock" items which she clearly has no control over. The out of stock items can't be controlled, due to shortages at the warehouses. In many cases, the warehouse has been completely out of the item.

She has been the only manager in the DIVISION who has been written up for this reason (out of stocks), which she has no immediate control over. Also, due to the "violation," she is no longer eligible for bonuses for up to a year.

As far as cleanliness issues go, she currently has one of the nicest looking departments in the entire state, and continues to not meet his expectation.

I'm not sure if this matters, but this same store director has had several accusations against him in the past decade for harassment charges.

Other factors also contribute to her very unpleasant work environment. She has been written up for not scheduling herself late enough in the day. He insists that she stays to at least 3:30PM everyday due to company policy. However, other managers at the store have not been held at the same standard. In addition, we know of several other people who hold her same position locally who frequently leave before 1:00 PM.

Furthermore, he frequently insists that she change her sales floor upon his personal standards. However, she is supposed to follow a certain schematic outlined by the company. Due to his orders, she made changes which led to disciplinary action from officials higher in the company (for not following schematic).

The store director has constantly harassed her for not getting a high enough gross, even though 3 competitor stores opened within a one mile radius of the location. A fair portion of her decline in sales has been due to the out of stock items. As I already stated, those identical items are out of stock in all other local stores due to warehouse shortages. He has threatened to fire her on several occasions due to "out of stock" issues.

I would appreciate some advice on if this is potential grounds for discrimination. I'm sorry if I rambled or did not include proper details. I am tired of seeing her come back from work crying because her boss has double standards among employee discipline. She has held this position for almost 20 years, and is known to be one of the top department managers in the district.

Please let me know how I should go about collecting evidence (what needs to be collected) if this is a legitimate case.

Thank you very much,
Adam

Last edited:

A

adamk2003

I apologize for posting this message in the wrong forum... I am new to discussion boards. :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post indicates that she has a case for discrimination. In order for her to have a legitimate case, she will need to show that she was written up BECAUSE OF her race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because she is over 40 - in other words, that "but for" one of these characteristics, she would not have been written up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">