• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Tenure Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aiwa_dunwwody

I am a tenure track teacher who may have denied because of negative student comments on the student evaluation form used at my college. The student comments are overwhelmingly positive but the administration seems to be only focused on the negative ones which are almost exclusively limitied to one semester. I have 2 excellent administrative evaluations and mostly outstanding student evaluations but, again, there are some students who commented negatively.

At this point I have been told I better improve and have had my course load for the coming semester reduced. I think it is unfair for the administration to reduce my course load without looking at all of the information available about me--there is a major lack of communication going on.

My question is this: if I am in fact denied tenure based on nothing more than a dozen negative student comments from one semester should I sue? I can definately back up my position that most students have liked me and, so far, I have received nothing but positive feedback from the administration. Do people ever win in tenure disputes? I am a "for cause" employee.

If any lawyers specializing in this read this please email me. I am in Florida. I can provide more details if needed. Thank you in advance.

E

Elliotg

It is premature to file any lawsuit. If and when they deny tenure, then you may want to consider taking legal action.

Is this a private or state institution?

You should schedule a formal consultation with a lawyer. A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting your State's bar association or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

A

aiwa_dunwwody

Thanks Elliot

Thanks for the reply. I realize it is premature to file a lawsuit at this point but I am maintaining a log of communications between myself and the administration so that I can document everything later.

It is a public institution.

I am a very good teacher. My job, as I understand it, isn't to make 100% of the students like me. This isn't a popularity contest. Of course I must treat students with respect and prepare for class, etc. etc. and I am doing that but there is no way to make everyone happy and actually teach one's classes. I could give grades away to everyone who is breathing and I guarantee I would have good evaluations then. The truth is I have great evaluations now with a few exceptions. It is amazing that I might lose my job because some kid who is taking 5 classes and working 40 hours a week and can't stay awake in class gets disgruntled about his test grades. Bascially, that is what it is like to teach. The students are not fully matured and can be unbelievable rude and hard to get along with. They almost dare you to teach them and entertain them. Not everyone wants to earn their grade these days. I could go on and on.

The administration knows all of that yet overemphasize and misuse student evaluation data. At least they have so far with me.

This problem is something the Faculty Senate should be handling but that is another long story.

Thanks for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">