• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible termiation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

perplexedmom

I have been employed at a domestic relations law firm for 2 1/2 years as a paralegal. Shortly after my hire an male associate was hired. When he first started he used to stand behind me (while I was sitting) and rub himself up against me. I did not go to the partners of the firm and report him, rather, I asked him what the He l he was doing and told him to cut it out. After that rebuke from me, he started harassing me in various ways. Cutting my work down to the partner, finding fault in various pleadings I prepared, he even went so far as to accuse me of not preparing a pleading correctly and both he and the partner yelled and screamed at me for approximately 5 minutes before I informed them that I didn't even prepare the pleading in question. I had my annual review and the partner put me "on probation" stating that if I couldn't get along with "the associate" I could leave the firm, because he (the associate) is far more important to the partner than I am. He further stated after 2 1/2 years of working here, that SUDDENLY my performance for the firm isn't up to "par". It should be noted that the other paralegals are not required to do pretrial statments and extensive pleadings but I am. I have also asked for a job description, and was told in writing that the partners feel the firm is too small for a office manual or a job description. The partner now seems to be moving "the mark" for what my job is. He seems to think his 24 year old secretary can do my job better and for less money that I can. Stating to me in my review that she isn't looking to be a paralegal but if I can't do the job and work with the associate, and she can, she could replace me.
Do I have any recourse under "at will" employment?

Please advise.

thank you.

crager34

yes you do

Maybe not what you want to hear though.

If you didn't report the harassment, your word against his, but looks like "the firm" might rally around him and not you.

Cut your losses and leave..find a better place.

Kiss butt a little bit to keep the job untill you can find a better one.

I understand what your feeling, but in any case...why continue to put yourself through it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">