• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peggyquintero

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have worked for a large hospital for nine years and have always received good reviews. During a recent phone conversation with the department manager, things seemed to take a turn. I was told that some people were not meant for a hospital setting and that I may very well be one of them. I was farther told that many people refused to work on second shift and that there have been many problems. She indicated that I was solely responsible for these problems, but added that I was a hard worker and did a good job. I later found that my co workers had come under the same fire and we were all told that she would be weeding out such employees. We were all "wonderful" a week ago just before we were to take a survey for employees to grade the managers and department.
Many of my co workers are "on call" employees and may not have a legal leg to stand on if she decides to fire them, however I am a full time employee with a relatively clean record with no written warnings which company policy deems necessary before you can be terminated. Are there loop holes in such policies ? Could there be a legal ethical issue in scaring employees into leaving by leading them to believe that they will be fired ? Does Arizona's right to work status enter into this issue at all ?

Beth3

"Are there loop holes in such policies ?" For the purposes of your situation, the answer is no.

"Could there be a legal ethical issue in scaring employees into leaving by leading them to believe that they will be fired ?" No.

"Does Arizona's right to work status enter into this issue at all ?" Right to work means that you cannot be forced to join a union in order to be employed. What you are referring to is "at will" which means either party can sever the employment relationship at any time for any reason. The caveat is that the employer cannot terminate someone for a specifically prohibited reason and your situation does not come close to one of those.

Being a regular full-time employee does not entitle you to any additional legal rights than those who are considered on call. You all have the same protections under the law. Whatever differences the two groups have is a matter of company policy.

P

peggyquintero

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately I believe that company policy for on call techs, also known as pool techs is that they can be let go without cause. This is very hard to take when you work as a team for a number of years. You become close friends. I guess that this is one of the down falls of our local hospital becoming a big corporation. It is no longer a friendly or caring place to work. They also seem to own most of the hospitals that are hiring within a forty mile radius. Hum, I am forty eight years old and never fired before. This could be a new experience.
Thank you again for your help.

Beth3

"Unfortunately I believe that company policy for on call techs, also known as pool techs is that they can be let go without cause" FYI - any employee can be let go without cause unless the parties have entered into an employment contract with specific provisions to the contrary. That said, employers don't just let people go willy-nilly. ("Gee, wouldn't it be fun to fire a few people today?") There's always a reason, although not always a good one.

P

peggyquintero

Possible Termination, the saga continues

Well, the saga continues. The manager held a meeting today where she read a letter stating that anyone who disagrees with her should leave now. We, the second shift, had a little meeting of our own where it was discussed just what we as a group had done to alienate our manager. We have come to the conclusion that during recent one on one interviews where we were asked our opinions on what we would like to see changed in our department, we asked that there be specific staff assigned to cover a second hospital that has been constructed adjacent to our hospital as we have been covering both hospitals. When asked about the latest ideas on how to make patients score our department higher on patient surveys, we stated that handing out cards with our full names on them was somewhat unsafe and that other aspects of this plan boarders on trickery and may not be viewed as giving good and honest care to our patients because it is the right thing to do. The message rings out loud and clear that her job may be on the line, however it would appear that our jobs may also be on the line. We represent a little less than half the radiology staff at our hospital and are faced with perhaps another dilemma. We were told that there will be more one on one interviews where our commitment to her ideas may be challenged. We fear that we may be asked to sign something during these meetings. We do not wish to voice any opinions nor sign any acceptance of perceived allegations. Had there indeed been any violations wagered against any of us, we would have been presented with these charges along with a specific incidence's so far everything has been vague and purely perception. If you were in our shoes, what would you sign and what would you not sign ? Are there key words that you would be leery of ? Refusal to sign whatever is presented to us, may be seen as insubordination, however blind agreements could end up being walking papers. We really love the work that we do because of the patients and having good management is just a bonus. We do have a wonderful supervisor who is just as baffled as we are.

Beth3

peggy, no one here can advise you whether you should sign some document that hasn't even been constructed yet and which the contents are unknown. You're going to have to use your best judgement when and if the time comes.

Your supervisor may wish to have a conversation with someone in more senior management about the situation and get some advice on behalf of herself and the group.

P

Pfaffing85690

Or, hell, just invite members of the hospital board to sit in on the conversations :D

P

peggyquintero

Update

Here is a little update on my dilemma. I was indeed given a one on one with the manager of our department and in the presence of my supervisor. I sat quietly and said nothing throughout the whole ordeal. I was handed a paper with four statements on it that in short form stated that I appear to have no respect for authority, fall into the category of complainer, not supportive of culture changes, and give poor patient care due to high throughput. I was told to write "My action plan" and was given no examples of wrong doing on my part, only that this is how she views me. I was very uncomfortable putting anything in writing, however I did write varying statements as to how I would work diligently to improve or change any perceptions that I am non supportive or disrespectful and that I will continue to give quality patient care and always place the patient first.
I asked my supervisor if this list of statements were the equivalent of a write up or just what was this. He was told that it wasn't, "it's nothing really, just something that they are doing." I asked if this would affect my review and he didn't know. I have a great supervisor who is just beside himself over this situation. He told me that the manager "has it out" for me and he doesn't know why. I told him that I did know why and that it is all due to my stating that we should give good patient care because it was the right thing to do and not as a plan to gain better patient scores on surveys.
Well, my action plan angered the manager as she feels that I wasn't taking it serious and she now wishes that I rewrite my reply to a question asked of us several months back as to what one thing would you like to see changed in our department. She is also requesting that I write papers on my personal life and my thought patterns and will find some books for me to read. she is also demanding that all of the statements given to me at the one on one be included in my review with no examples of any of the four charges. I would really like to clear this up before I move on, however I am not willing to do everything that she is asking. My personal life is my own and my children and husband have no place in her files. There is no one to discuss this with as the manager is one step down from the director of the hospital. My poor co workers are taking similar hits from the manager and our supervisor has tried to tell her that she is wrong, but she will not hear of it. It is all very sad and I just wish that I had it in my nature to say the word harassment. Do you know anyone who needs an x ray tech ? I am really not as bad as I am being made to feel.

Last edited:
P

peggyquintero

Dear Pfaffing85690

Dear Pfaffing85690
The only board member that I know was playing cards with my mother at the time. I had no warning of the meeting and had I known the outcome, I would have halted the game and had her come right over.

P

Pfaffing85690

So what other alternative does my reply to you bring to mind?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">