• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luke200046

So I work(ed) at a certain California burger joint. I'm most likely getting fired, and I wanted to see if what they are doing is legal. The company sent us to a pro basketball game for achieving a certain goal. I asked the manager of my store a week before if I could drink at the game as I am over 21. I was told yes, and this was later confirmed at a store meeting a few days before. So I get there, and me and another friend have a beer. We go to the lobby to get another one a little bit later. So now I'm in the lobby with a friend, drinking a beer and chatting. The divisional manager comes up, takes my drink from me, pours it out, and tells me I'm lucky if I have my job in the morning. Apparently when the divisional manager got to the game, he told the manager that we were not supposed to be drinking at a company function even though its off the clock. Apparently he had told other associates at the game, but we came in late to the game and were not really sitting by any of them. So apparently, by word of mouth I was supposed to have heard about this. So I show up this morning, and my manager is already there, and suspends me. Is there any sort of legal right that is being broke here?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
None whatsoever, nor will it be a wrongful termination if you are fired.

A wrongful termination does not mean what most people think it means. Unless a specific law prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they do, it is not a wrongful termination.

LeeHarveyBlotto

No, your manager is a gutless piece of filth if he didn't stand up and let the supervisor know what he told you, but that's not a violation of law.

xylene

You are over 21, and you are not at management level in a burger joint?

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. ;)

Blotto is right too, your manager is a gutless wonder.

Of course, walking in your shoes, I would have probably been arrested for assaulting the divisional manager with a beer bottle just for touching me, let alone wasting my drink.. so I must say your restraint does speak to your character. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">