• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pk222

I was terminated from a part-time job. I live in Illinois but the company was based out of Maryland. The company tried to get me to sign a confideniality agreement for an extremely small sum of money. Not only did they want me to keep the nature of the company confidential but they utilized language in the document that would prevent me from bad mouthing the company or suing them. I never signed it.

The whole thing started when the company decided to have us work on a really involved project. The deadline for the project was Friday, June 22nd for part of it and the rest we could turn in sometime afterward. I completed the info that I was supposed to and turned my information in that was due. The following Monday June 25th. I turned in the remaining pieces (I had completed everything they needed). The next day, Tuesday June 26th, I was fired due to a "restructuring of the company". I was told that it had nothing to do with my job performance and that it was excellent. Prior to the dismissal, I had been told by my manager that my position with the company was secure and that they were hoping I would continue my employment. This not only came from my manager but from an upper managerial person as well. I was basically lead to believe that all was well and then after I finished the work they wanted me to finish I was let go. I was told that due to the restructuring my position was being eliminated. Several other people were let go as well and basically given similar reasons. Why did they even try to get me to sign that agreement? I'd like to know someone's thoughts on this because it sounds very peculiar. Thank you in advance.

L

loku

confidentiality agreement

Why did they even try to get me to sign that agreement?
It is never possible to say why anybody does anything; however, it is likely that they have some trade secrets or procedures that they would like kept private. As for why they wanted you to agree not to bad mouth them or sue them, I think that speaks for itself.

It does sound like they lead you on to get you to finish the project, but that is not illegal and it is common.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">