• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible wrongful termination in progress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miller2

9 months pregnant and being fired while on leave!

I am in the middle of a somewhat complicated situation and in desperate need of advice. I currently work for a small insurance company that employes approx. 10 to 12 people. I started in July of 2000 and one month after I started I found out that I was three months pregnant. I informed my employer after I had deceided to continue to work through m pregnancy.During my pregnancy I caught the flu three times and after the third time I deceided that for my health and the baby's that I should take leave early(approx 3 weeks before my due date which is Jan 12). I obtained a note from my doctor stating "Angela durives to be off work due to medical reasons from her pregnancy." When I took the note to my manager she informed me that this my not be enough info and that their insurance co. may investigate. She also informed me that if I took their disability and did not stay w/ the company for 1 year after I would have to repay them. I have read their manual several times and I have never seen anything like this explained. The next week at my doctors appt I was informed that my manager, not the insurance co, had been calling asking questions about my health and if the doctors note was real. My doctor was very alarmed by the call, but she did inform my manager that the note was real but she would not give her any further information w/out my consent. When my doctor told me of the situation I informed her not to do anything until I received some legal advice, since it appears that my manager may be trying to fire me.

Can they make me repay the disability if I don't stay for another year when their manual states nothing about this?

Why is my manager asking questions about my health instead of the insurance co?

Does it seem like she may be trying to either find a way to fire me or discourage me from continuing to work there?

My doctor feels that I may need to begin to find an attorney is she right?

Any advice or info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
confused in Ohio

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">