• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Employment Restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackyche

What is the name of your state? Washington

I was an associate dentist for company X for a period of 4 years. In the middle of that duration, we signed a "associate agreement" that detailed various compensation agreements and among other things. In that agreement, there were 2 specific clauses that is of importance, one being non-compete for a radius of 3 miles for 3 years after termination of employment. The second clause restricts me from hiring of any his current and former employees for 3 years also.

Now that I've left the company for 6months and started my own (not within the 3 mi radius), I would like to hire 2 of my former coworkers. They did not sign any compete agreements of the sort (they're dental assistants).

Question, can I hire them? I can't imagine company x suing me for it but just in case.

Beth3

Sure you can hire them. The only question is whether your former employer will sue you for doing so and if they prevail, what it's all going to cost you.

Nobody here can predict that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">