• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Termination: Employer adding documents to my HR File. Legal or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

passion&purity

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I worked in a regional office in NC. Our main corporate office is in Florida.

I was terminated with only the reason that my boss received complaints from my subordinates about my requiring them to do their jobs correctly. I never, in 6 years, received written notices or write-ups, each of my annual evaluations I scored 24 points out of 25.

I am finding out now, that after I was terminated, my boss has added much documentation to my HR file. My question -- Is this legal? Doesn't the documetation have to be dated by HR on the date they receive the info?

I spoke with our HR manager who informed me that I was not terminated due to my job performance. Certainly, there were no wrongdoings on my part either-- that's the least of my worries.

Thaks for your help!

seniorjudge

passion&purity said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I worked in a regional office in NC. Our main corporate office is in Florida.

I was terminated with only the reason that my boss received complaints from my subordinates about my requiring them to do their jobs correctly. I never, in 6 years, received written notices or write-ups, each of my annual evaluations I scored 24 points out of 25.

I am finding out now, that after I was terminated, my boss has added much documentation to my HR file. My question -- Is this legal? Doesn't the documetation have to be dated by HR on the date they receive the info?

I spoke with our HR manager who informed me that I was not terminated due to my job performance. Certainly, there were no wrongdoings on my part either-- that's the least of my worries.

Thaks for your help!
I am NOT an employee law attorney.

However, let me ask you: Were you an at-will employee? If so, they can fire you for any reason or no reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in the law says that information cannot be added to your file after your termination date. Nothing in the law requires that any information must be dated on or before the date of cancellation.

What of COBRA information? What of any notices of life insurance conversion? What of your 401k election? None of this even exists until after your term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">