• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NYTarget

I am a corporate professional that recently became aware from a collegue at my old firm that an E-mail was sent to someone at my old firm from a prior employee calling me an "idiot". This prior employee was put on probation by me before they left. My sources at this old firm also indicated that this same person is leading a charge (telling other employees that left the old firm)to let people know that they come in contact with that I am not smart. I believe this person is filled with vengeance and wishes to see me fail in my new position. The industry I am in is small and the expertise I practice is even smaller.

How do I approach this possible infection that may be raised by someone in either my new firm or by constituents in my normal work day? Is there a legal way to send a "cease and desist" letter to the guilty party(s)?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

This might be libel per se. I.e. attack your profession with false statements. The problem here is that idiot is usually an opinion and not an opinion disguised as a fact.

So, if you can show this to be defamatory (a lawyer's job), you can certainly try a cease and desist letter. One from a lawyer stipulating this as defamation, with attorney's letterhead just may be the official awakening he needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">