• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a potential Employee/Subcontractor misclassification?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darthbrooks

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I am working as a subcontractor for a large satellite television installation company in the Houston Texas area. This company pays its subcontractors a fixed rate by the install. These payments used to cover much of our expense of time and labor. Recently however this company has instituted several changes that I am not entirely sure how they can legally get away with.

We have certain guidelines in our contract with this company for work that is supposed to be done on each installation. In a nutshell we can run external wiring from the dish to each room with no more than 150 feet of coaxial cabling per room. The dish is mounted on the structure. There are things in our contract that allows us to charge a customer for work out of scope. For example if we have to install the dish somewhere other than the existing structure, running wiring within internal walls via attic crawlspaces, installs that use more than 150 feet of cabling per room, attic work, etc.

Several major problems have arisen recently.

1. Pressure by the contracting company to perform out of scope, or what is termed “custom work”, for free.

On jobs where special materials and out of scope work is needed like attic work, this contracting company has on several occasions not only threatened to fire but has fired other subcontractors for not providing labor and materials to customers for free. One instance recently arose of one subcontractor being ordered by the contractor to refund a customer for labor charges he performed in her attic. It specifically states in the contract that attic work is not standard work and the subcontractor can charge the customer for it.

2. Job performance is not measured by quality of work performed but by percentage of jobs completed.

This also goes back to point one above. Subcontractors that have a lower percentage of installations completed are actually terminated. For installations where custom work is required, the only recourse for installers to reimburse themselves is to charge the customer. If the customer does not have the funds available, then the installer risks losing his job by lowering his completion percentage or he has to provide materials and labor for free to get the work done.

This story only gets worse. In many cases a customer will require a deposit with a satellite service provider like DirecTV and Dish Network to even have their service turned on. This contractor has actually pressured installers to PAY a customer’s activation fee with a service provider like DirecTV out of the installer’s own personal finances. The reason given by this contractor is too bolster an installer’s percentages so they wont get terminated. The general contracting company actually gets paid a commission by DirecTv and Dish Network for each customer activated. The general contracting company gets paid nothing if the installation is not performed. For customer's requiring an activation fee by the satellite service provider, the general contracting company has pressured us to pay these customers' bill in the past.

3. Contractor requires sub-contractors to drive across the State of Texas without compensation.

On some installations we are sent halfway across the state of Texas where the installation reimbursement does not even cover the gas cost to get there and back. In these cases we are not allowed to charge a customer a trip charge. And if we refuse the job we are threatened with termination, if not terminated out right. In these extreme cases, we are outright forced to take a loss. The expense of gas and material supply costs alone are not even covered by the payment in these extreme cases.

4. Contractor requires attendance of weekly staff meetings

We are required to attend weekly staff meetings. We are not reimbursed for these and if we miss one we are charged back $25 in the least case, terminated in the worst case.

5. Contractor requires a dress code.

All installers are required to wear the contracting companies uniform with their company logo. Many installers have their own companies yet they are forced to wear this contracting company’s uniforms. Subcontractors are charged back for not wearing the contractor’s uniforms in the least case, terminated in the worst case.

My question is this:

Is this contractor exerting so much financial and behavioral control over the subcontractors as to warrant bringing this up to the IRS or other state agencies as a potential employee/subcontractor misclassification? The manager at this local contractor office has even boasted in staff meetings in front of all the subcontractors that the only reason we are classified as such is for them to not have to pay state unemployment insurance. If they are breaking the law potentially, what avenues do we have available to bring these issues up with the IRS or what agency within the state of Texas should we notify?

Is there any other legal recourse we can take for the other issues? Like pressuring us to not charge customers for out of scope work? Would this be a breach of contract on their part?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Darthbrooks

Texas

Any advice on this? Our most recent memo from this manager follows:

"If I dont get my bonus, someone will be losing a job every two weeks."

This manager's bonus comes from a high percentage of job completions. We are not rated on our job performance by the quality of work but on how many jobs we do. A lot of jobs in the satellite industry can not be completed due to many factors outside of our control (IE. customers not having activation fees for a satellite provider, too many trees on their property, homeowner association regulations, apartment regulations, customer cancelations, customers unable to pay for outside of contract work, etc. )

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

pattytx

Be patient. This board is staffed by volunteers who do it in addition to their regular jobs. People are not standing by for your questions. Someone who is knowledgeable in this area will address your question soon.

Darthbrooks

New update

New update:

We just had another mandatory staff meeting this morning.

We have been told by the local office manager that we are now required to be on call all day long. We can no longer decline a job assignment given to us in the middle of the work day for any reason. We have been told declining a job assignment will result in termination.

Prior to this new change we received our work orders in the morning. We scheduled our day according to work received from this general contractor with first priority. Any other assignments from other clients were then worked into our daily schedule as other clients are much more flexible.

This new policy is now making it impossible for us to schedule any work with other clients.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can only speak for myself, Darth, but my problem is that I'm rather weak on sub-contractors.

If you don't get a response here, you might try calling the DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">