• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are potential employers required to inform me why I was not hired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ivgotit

Arizona

I have been denied employment by several employers, but all I get is a standard "thanks for you application" letters with no explanation as to why I was denied employment. Are potential employers required to let me know the reasons as to why I was denied emplloyment? I am at a loss as to why everyone is rejecting my applications. Thanks.

Beth3

"Are potential employers required to let me know the reasons as to why I was denied emplloyment?" No, and very few will do so voluntarily because they don't want to get into a debate with a candidate.

I obviously have no idea why you haven't been contacted for an interview but I can tell you that jobs are scarce and there typically is a tremendous amount of competition for the jobs that are available. The few employment ads I've placed in the last year for techical/professional positions have resulted in 100+ candidates for each job. Generally, less than 10% will be interviewed and ultimately all but one will be rejected.

JETX

Beth3

Just a thought, JETX - If he's not getting called for an interview, it's extremely unlikely anyone has contacted his former employers for any references. That's seldom done until after the first interview and often later in the game than that.

JETX

That would depend on the type of position being pursued. If this is a profession, a lot of them know each other and it would be fairly simple to just make a quick call to see what the former knew of the applicant. I have seen this done numerous times.... even before the applicant got in the door.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Jetx:

Maybe I typed it in wrong, but when I tried the link you provided to check your own references, what I got was an article that suggested that you use a reference checking service to check your own references, for $100-$200.

While I can't argue with what you've seen yourself, I have to agree with Beth that if he is not getting any calls for interviews, it is FAR more likely that it is just an over-abundance of applicants. While I no longer recruit since turning to consulting, I have kept in touch with my HR management network, many of whom tell me they are receiving up to 300 resumes per position, regardless of whether it is for unskilled labor or a vice president's position. Nor do I think it likely that, with that many resumes arriving, EVERY hiring manager is talking to one another about EVERY applicant.

JETX

Now folks, don't go mis-stating what I said.

What I did say was, "if you want to try to find out a reason, you might consider hiring one of the 'employment reference check' companies"

That does not mean that poor refernces were the only reason, nor did I say that it was always done prior to an interview. I can say that in some certain professions, a persons reputation does precede him and that can affect the 'second' look that he might have gotten.

Example, lawyers even if a large town often have an opinion of their fellow attorneys.... and that reputation could and does often "walk through the door first" when a person submits an application to a firm. I can guarantee (from experience) that if someone gets a resume from an attorney at another firm, and if the hiring firm has an attorney who used to work there, the recruiter will often go to that person and say, "When you worked at Dewie, Cheatum and Howe, did you now Bob Johnson?" and "What did you think of him as a litigator?". And the comment that he gets will go a long way to whether 'Bob Johnson' is brought in for an interview or not.

Common Beth and cbg.... admit it. You have done this yourselves. I know you have. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nope, sorry, but I haven't. Honest and truly. Of course, during most of the time I was hiring, the job market was entirely different than it is now and we were grasping at straws: ANYONE who could stand upright and had use of an opposable thumb was likely to be hired as there were so few applicants.

Beth3

Yes, I have on occasion, if it happens that I know someone in management who works (or worked) where the job candidate worked. That assumes that the candidate's resume or application is of interest to begin with. It doesn't happen too often though. I'm in manufacturing and that's a much bigger "world" than the legal community in the same geographic area.

It's still far more likely that ivgotit is running into a huge competition for the jobs he's applying for, rather than someone's providing bad references.

JETX

I agree that is very likely the case.

But it never hurts to find out what is REALLY being said about you..... :) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">