• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential HIPAA violation. Will I be terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
you all blew u fast, I mainly was referring to any type of lawsuit relating to the incident in question, whether the employee could claim discrimination, age or whatever in relations to this incident. It was a general statement in regards to retaliation against the employer by the employee. All hospitals have HR departments and they will make the determination. You all are right most states are at will meaning the employee and the employer may sever the relationship with or without cause for any reason. I was referring to anything the employee could lay claim to that applies in a federal protected category which could apply not wrongful termination for breaking a HIPAA law.
Still waiting for that cite, not backpedaling.

You really should have started and stopped here.

(may be turning blue......)
If you have ever made anything over 10.50 an hour which I doubt then you would know that all HR departments have procedures that they have to adhere too in regards to firing and hiring people. That is why HR departments exist, I was talking about the steps they would take in make a determination. Some deal with rehabilitation even if not all the criteria for firing was met. I do not turn blue nor do I listen or take advice from the majority on this site since most are not lawyers, most have never taken a legal class, and most on here are house wives who like to beat their chests about the glass houses they live in and make fun of other peoples problems and situations.

Truth hurts huh.

ecmst12

By the way, looking at the medical record of a patient you never treated and have no valid business reason to look at is absolutely a HIPAA violation, and anyone stupid enough to engage in such activities would have no defense to being fired or denied unemployment. It would be considered gross misconduct.

Just because one is a member of a protected class (and every human on the planet is) does not mean you have a valid lawsuit when you are fired for unprofessional behavior.

CSO286

If you have ever made anything over 10.50 an hour which I doubt then you would know that all HR departments have procedures that they have to adhere too in regards to firing and hiring people. That is why HR departments exist, I was talking about the steps they would take in make a determination. Some deal with rehabilitation even if not all the criteria for firing was met. I do not turn blue nor do I listen or take advice from the majority on this site since most are not lawyers, most have never taken a legal class, and most on here are house wives who like to beat their chests about the glass houses they live in and make fun of other peoples problems and situations.

Truth hurts huh.
So, when we criticize the validity of the false legal information you've posted, you resort to character assasination? Would that be because you can not legally back up the information you "think" is right?

And as an aside, $10.50 was what I started at with my first job......almost fifteen years ago.

It's interesting that not only are you arguing with people who understand and work with HIPAA and other protected client information, but you are also arguing with a senior member who had decades of experience in all things HR, from the basics to complicated ins and outs related to the newest information.

So, when we criticize the validity of the false legal information you've posted, you resort to character assasination? Would that be because you can not legally back up the information you "think" is right?

And as an aside, $10.50 was what I started at with my first job......almost fifteen years ago.

It's interesting that not only are you arguing with people who understand and work with HIPAA and other protected client information, but you are also arguing with a senior member who had decades of experience in all things HR, from the basics to complicated ins and outs related to the newest information.
I am through playing with your ignorant posting skills, but I just posted what I think. You should know there is enough lawyers to make or take a case against anything. So, while I do not know HR, I did sign a HIPAA agreement from my training in the medical field and never had a problem with it. I knew what I could and could not do and I really did not care enough to look into things like this when famous patients (actors, etc.) came through. I gave examples of similar situations of people I have known and the situations they went through. HR people love to destroy the money makers it is another feather in their cap, but they also have to make sure all their ducks are in line or else they could face some problems. I wish her luck with this situation and hope it comes out ok, with what ever decision the OP goes with.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're quite right that you don't know HR - your posts have proven that. Your "understanding" of what HR departments do and how they operate is flawed, to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

I am through playing with your ignorant posting skills, but I just posted what I think. You should know there is enough lawyers to make or take a case against anything. So, while I do not know HR, I did sign a HIPAA agreement from my training in the medical field and never had a problem with it. I knew what I could and could not do and I really did not care enough to look into things like this when famous patients (actors, etc.) came through. I gave examples of similar situations of people I have known and the situations they went through. HR people love to destroy the money makers it is another feather in their cap, but they also have to make sure all their ducks are in line or else they could face some problems. I wish her luck with this situation and hope it comes out ok, with what ever decision the OP goes with.
Regarding the bolded: here on FA, that's like bringing a peanut-butter sandwich to a Chef's cookoff competition.

:cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
...all HR departments have procedures that they have to adhere too
I've been running an HR department for over twenty years. And what cbg knows makes me look like a rank amateur. And we're going to get thumped by an almost-illiterate blowhard who recently had to ask if he could be fired during a probationary period because he had a doctor's note?

I don't think so.

I've been running an HR department for over twenty years. And what cbg knows makes me look like a rank amateur. And we're going to get thumped by an almost-illiterate blowhard who recently had to ask if he could be fired during a probationary period because he had a doctor's note?

I don't think so.
I have made companies hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus. I sold something while I was there that brought them in 20 grand and that was off one sale. So, do not lecture me about what I write or what I know. Lots of companies make it hard on people these days in regards to their employment practices, here because we know you need a job and if you buck the system then we will just fire you and move on to the next. Do not hate me because I know how to play the game, and got another job before those tools could find me expendable at my previous job. I create my own opportunities because I have the education and the track record of making companies large amounts of money. What is your all track records of? saving the company money? trying to figure out how to play office politics enough to remain employable? stabbing people in the back and then smiling to their faces?

You can insult me all you want but I make people money and am happy with what I do? how about you?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I have made companies hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars, plus.
Fine. The next time somebody comes here looking for advice on how to sell a widget, he's all yours.

Hate you? Don't flatter yourself. You know diddly about employment law and you're not going to come here and insult respected experts without getting it thrown back in your face. Deal with it.

CSO286

Please let me know what portion of my response here reveals some sort of ignorance?

I've spent over ten years working in healthcare and the last five working in social services, with an emphasis in child support. I understand exactly how public, private and confidential client/patient data must be dealt with, as well as the criminal and civil repurcussions for either negligent or malicious mishandling of said information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">