• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential Relocation Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markv

My wife and I are both City government employees in a medium size California city. We plan on relocating out of state next year. I will leave my job first and go job hunting, with my wife following after I secure a job (hopefully no more than 2-3 months).

Can the city terminate my wife first if they know she is going to resign? Despite the fact that reasons for resignation (mine) would be confidential, could the city infer that my wife was going to resign soon, and terminate her first? She is in upper level management, makes the larger paycheck. We are happily married, so there would be no indication that we are separating. Any advice, recommendations?

ALawyer

If it is the government there are all sorts of civil service rules to comply with. I suggest that you get prepared by speaking to an expert on these government civil service laws first, as it is not only what the laws say (you do not want to have to sue as it is expensive) but what people might do informally and outside the law.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">