• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential Wrongful Termination in Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Constance_H

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I have a concern regarding my feeling of being forced to fire an employee based upon their performance. I believe that it is being unfair to the employee sense the company has not provided adequate training and now has expectations that were not clearly defined. In addition, their exists tension related to the challenges of cultural diversity. I'd like to believe that we can all overcome the challenge but it appears that this challenge has led to the possible dismissal of a Director and it is being blamed on her inability to manage her job without regards to the fact that the tools and/or resources to carry out her job weren't sufficiently provided. As her direct report, I feel that I'm being pressured/forced to agree to fire her for reasons of her performance, in lieu of, providing the training/resources to carry out her job. Can I be sued personally? What are my rights as an employee that feels that the environment has become far too hostile and logic is being clouded by preferential treatment?

Should I seek legal advice as her direct report and the person that could ultimately be responsible for firing her, technically? I have already verbally stated that I don't agree with the suggestion to fire her without the organization agreeing to providing the resources/tools for better measuring her performance?

Your promptness and cooperation with this matter are greatly appreciated.

LeeHarveyBlotto

It may well be unfair, but nothing you posted suggested any illegal activity. Your recourse is limited to working it out with your employer, or choosing to work elsewhere.

Constance_H

Thank you for your candor

Thank you for your candor. I believe it boils down to the fact that you either share the same vision or you don't. What's the old adage? If you can't beat them, then join. If you can't join then you must leave.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just for clarification, a wrongful termination means that a specific law prohibits the employer from firing the employee for the reason they did.

There is no law in any state that prohibits an employer from firing an employee for performance reasons. There is no law in any state that mandates training or that expectations be clearly defined.

Therefore, there is no law in any state which would make this a wrongful termination.

I can't say from what you've posted whether firing is appropriate or not. But it is not illegal; there is no wrongful term; no one can be sued. If you can work it out with the employer, fine. But performance is a legal and valid reason for termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">