• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-employment background check, employer requesting more information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aevum031

I live in Maryland and I recently applied for a job and was offered the position contingent on a background check. The background check turned up a few charges from 2010. There were a few traffic charges pertaining to an accident and one criminal charge. I was found guilty of negligent driving and the criminal charge was given a stet deposition.

The prospective employer didnt understand what a stet disposition meant, I did however try to explain it. Nevertheless, the employer requested I furnish the case records. I felt it was sort of ridiculous that I had to do the leg work when the background check shows an arrest record but that I was only convicted of a driving related offense. I did how ever get the records.

Now they are requesting more documents, specifically the “Judge’s Findings of Fact/Conclusions of Law” or a “Summary of Conclusion.” This just seems over the top and honestly doesnt sit well with me. Can they legally request all this information from me after completing a background check?

Sorry for the winded question, thanks in advance for any insight!

swalsh411

There is no law which says they cannot request this information. There is no law which says you must provide it. There is no law which says they can't refuse to consider you for employment if you refuse to provide it.

Antigone*

I live in Maryland and I recently applied for a job and was offered the position contingent on a background check. The background check turned up a few charges from 2010. There were a few traffic charges pertaining to an accident and one criminal charge. I was found guilty of negligent driving and the criminal charge was given a stet deposition.

The prospective employer didnt understand what a stet disposition meant, I did however try to explain it. Nevertheless, the employer requested I furnish the case records. I felt it was sort of ridiculous that I had to do the leg work when the background check shows an arrest record but that I was only convicted of a driving related offense. I did how ever get the records.

Now they are requesting more documents, specifically the “Judge’s Findings of Fact/Conclusions of Law” or a “Summary of Conclusion.” This just seems over the top and honestly doesnt sit well with me. Can they legally request all this information from me after completing a background check?

Sorry for the winded question, thanks in advance for any insight!
You can either comply with their request or let them know you are no longer interested in the position. Either way what they are asking is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">