• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Employment Background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ski881

What is the name of your state? reside in NY, but position is in NC and corporate office in CT

I have interviewed with a firm which is interested in hiring me, but they first must perform a background investigation. I am concerned because nine years ago I had been charged with a felony crime which was later dismissed. Will this appear on a criminal background check even though there was no conviction? Is there an agency I may contact to check my record? I performed an online check utilizing some ussearch website, but nothing appeared. However, I was informed if the employer performs an in-depth search it will appear. Please advise....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All background checks are not created equal. We don't know how thorough a check will be performed; therefore we can't tell you whether it will show up or not. Sorry.

You didn't ask this, but I HOPE that you were honest and truthful about this on any paperwork you completed. There are quite a few employers who will hire someone who made a mistake and has learned from it and turned their life around. Few if any employers will hire someone who lies on their employment application. That is legitimate grounds to not hire/fire someone and you would have no legal recourse.

You do not have to volunteer the information if they do not ask for it. However, if they ask a question to which the literal and truthful answer would be to disclose the felony charge, then PLEASE do yourself a favor and answer truthfully. Assume that the question means exactly what it says. (Example: if they ask, Have you EVER been charged with a felony, the answer is Yes forever more. However, if they ask if you have been charged with a felony in the last five years, you can truthfully answer no. And if the question is have you been CONVICTED of a felony and you were not convicted, you're in the clear, although you might want to err on the side of caution and say no, but you were charged with a felony that was dismissed. Your call, though.)

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">