• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Employment background checks...Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vipresslady

Maryland

Someone I know was convicted of a misdemeanor theft 2 1/2 years ago...ends probation period in September....applied and was offered a management position, but the offer was rescinded because of the misdemeanor charge.....He was told he could dispute, but probably will not.

In the state of Maryland, how long does a misdemeanor criminal charge stay on someone's background check?

He thought only felony convictions were on pre-employment background checks.

Any information you can provide regarding state of Maryland so he will know how to proceed in the future will be helpful.

Lastly, if he applied for a job in a different state and moved, this information will also follow, correct?

He was young, made a mistake -- but was a small amount of money, has made restitution, but now wants to know how long this is going to haunt him.

Thank you for your prompt reply and information to this!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Any conviction stays on your record forever, barring expungements, and not even always then.

All background checks are not created equal. What will and will not show on a background check depends entirely on how thorough a check is done. The apparently common belief that all background checks will always show exactly the same information is, unfortunately for some, not true.

Therefore, what any given employer will see on a background check will depend on what information they ask for. There is no possible way I can assure him that a misdemeanor will not show up because if a criminal check is run, it will. Since it's not going to fall off his record after two years or five years or seven years or ten years, that misdemeanor is there.

Whether it will follow him to another state will, again, depend on what information the employer asks for. I certainly can't tell him that an employer in another state will never see it - they can.

1PDnAZ

He needs to check into having his record expunged. Each state is different. Call the MD attorney General's office for info on doing this. It has to be done by a judge. I live in AZ, where I got busted for pot possession 23 years ago. This will be on my criminal record untill I am 134 yeard old. AZ does not expunge records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">