• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy Disclosure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

krushspaz

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I live in MA and I am looking for a new job and found out that I am just about 3 months pregnant. I am wondering if I have to disclose this information to a company that I am interviewing with? Is it required?

Beth3

No, it is not required. It is entirely up to you.

What I do suggest is that if you get an offer from a company, before accepting you tell them you will be needing some leave time down the road and discuss the specifics. You won't be eligible for FMLA when you need to go on maternity leave and you'll want to be certain that the company will offer you leave when the time comes. You don't want to accept the job and find yourself terminated in four or five months because the company doesn't extend leave to employees with less than 12 months of service.

P.S. This is what I would tell anyone looking for a job who knew they would require medical leave during their first year of employment - not just someone who's pregnant.

By the way, congratulations. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My response from yesterday disappeared in the software update. It was to the effect that although you will not be eligible for FMLA, you will be eligible for maternity leave under MA law. They are required to allow you up to 8 weeks of unpaid leave, regardless of the length of your employ. NOTE: Actually, I believe that you have to have completed your probationary period or three months employment to be eligible but if you are only three months pregnant now, that shouldn't be an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">