• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy and new job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I just found out I was pregnant and I recently started a new job. The thing is I have been with this company for over 5 years but recently transferred to another department. I am on a 90 day probation period. My question is if they find out I am pregnant (I don't want to tell until my first trimester is over), can they fire me at the end of 90 day period and say it's due to my work and not pregnancy? What are my rights and responsibilities in this case? What should I do to protect my job?

ecmst12

If it doesn't affect how you do your job (no heavy lifting needed etc), there is no reason to tell anyone at work before 12 weeks. Make sure your performance is not affected and you should be fine. If you suddenly start doing a crappy job, they're going to want to fire you having nothing to do with the pregnancy. If you're a good and valuable employee, they're not going to want to get rid of you just because you might need to take a couple of months off at some point in the future.

OHRoadwarrior

I honestly don't believe I am saying this, however, after well over a decade of hiding disabilities, my advice is if you start showing, in a subtle manner, display doughnuts, cupcakes etc discreetly, so the inference will be made you are binging a bit.

ecmst12

Um...after a certain point, trying to lie about being pregnant is just not going to work. Better to come clean sometime (slightly) before it starts being really obvious, to show your honest character.

commentator

You are with the same company you've been with for the last five years, you've just changed departments, right? So you're not a brand new employee, except of this department, right? You are under no obligation to tell them anything at present. Keep the information away from co workers, too. Just don't mention it, unless there is a specific medical problem that would force you to request leave during this first 90 days. Do a good job at your job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">