• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription medication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bev248

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I know that an employer cannot ask what medications an employee is taking. But, can a person who has Chronic Pain and is on narcotic pain medication, prescribed and monitored monthly by a physician, be fired for taking this medication?
This person is unable to function without medication. He has been taking the medication for 8 months and has no deficiencies, accidents, and recently had a great evaluation.
Random drug testing is why we are concerned. His time is bound to come up really soon.

rmet4nzkx

I suggest your friend look into ADA accommodations. There is little else that can be said without facts, your friend would of course inform the test administrator of the Rx.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To expand on Ms. Cupcake's answer, if and when your friend is required to submit to drug testing, the test administrator will ask if he is taking any prescription medications. Your friend will then provide the adminstrator with a copy of the prescription proving the "legality" of the presence of that drug in his system. As long as he is able to provide that prescription, there should be no issue with him continuing to use that medication as long as it does not create any safety issues with his job duties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">