• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pressured to work for no pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettle1

Bear with me- it didn't start out this ridiculous.

I was offered a job two weeks ago, but told the HR person for the position was on vacation, and I would be officially hired the moment they came back. This employer asked me to work promising in an email I would get paid overtime for the hours.

I gritted my teeth and did it even though I know a) it is illegal and b) it is awkward since I might not even get paid at all. I really wanted this job.

Now I found out that it will be another month (the HR person is going SLOW). Minimal efforts are being made by my employer to ensure I will be officially hired. I have been asked to "volunteer" for another month with the expectation of being paid later. Actually, volunteers need to take extensive medical and blood tests-- I am working as a "visitor."

If I stick this out for a month, will it be legal for me to be paid? Will I be paid for my work? Is this a scam? Why is this happening? This is my first job out of college and I am really scared to give it up before knowing for sure it's doomed. I know nothing about negotiating, but I know this is illegal.

What should I do?

Last edited:

eerelations

Whether you're in the US or Canada, this is completely illegal and is also probably a scam. Stop working for these people immediately and file a claim for your worked hours with the federal or state DOL (if you're in the US) or your provincial Ministry of Labour (if you're in Canada).

commentator

Okay NEVER ever ever work for people who do not have a legitimate pay system and record keeping system in place such that you fill out paperwork before you ever begin.

Now, report this company or whatever it is to the Department of Labor/or Labour if you're in Canada. Quit, stop working, do not go back. Be a professional, don't give away your valuable skills and time. And DO NOT give these people your personal information at this point if you have not already done so. Don't be surprised if this slow HR person turns out to have a strange foreign accent, wants you to send money up front so they can reimburse you. Or has you cash their paycheck (which was mysteriously and erroneously made out for far too much)and give them some of it back.

This is not as uncommon a scheme as you'd imagine. There was once a truck driving firm I dealt with that was going to "audition" drivers, even ended up getting weeks and weeks of driving for free for them, never paid anyone. Then sort of slipped away and disappeared before they could be prosecuted.

kettle1

Thank you so much for these replies. I am just at a loss, as you can imagine. I am grateful for the feedback on here!!
The job is at a large not for profit in the US.

Last edited:

Beth3

NGO - non government organization? Not sure what an NGO is.

Since you say this is an extremely large organization, I can't believe they have just one HR person nor someone who takes over his or her basic responsiblities in his/her absence (such as getting a new hire signed up and on the payroll!)

Does this organization have a corporate HQ? If so, contact them and ask to speak to the HR Director. If not, can you speak with the HR person's boss at your location? Something fishy is going on. The situation you describe is ridiculous. Part of me is thinking that it's not company practice to "scam" new hires like this (SO easy for someone to make a complaint to the DOL) but some nonsense your immedate supervisor may be up to.

kettle1

A very sound diagnosis Beth3-- Now I am scratching my head over whether I should have tried the HQ as per your suggestion.

But, perhaps it's too late for that- I left it up to the manager to take care of it and stated a request for a start date. I don't want to cause a conflict in the HR department. This job may be dead but this institution will certainly have other jobs that i will need to apply for later in my career. I hope this episode will not mark me as a liability and am sure going to HR would do that.

The size is large, large, large, eerelations- definitely more than, say, 5000. I don't want to say more- afraid of being outed. :eek:

Thank you again for the responses.

Last edited:

eerelations

If you've decided to continue to work for free and won't do something about it, then maybe you deserve to be scammed. Sorry to sound harsh, but no mature, professional person would stand for this sort of mistreatment. The longer you let it go on, the worse you look.

Hot Topic

You actually are hoping to get another job at the same "institution?"

We may be the ones being "scammed."

Last edited:

kettle1

I don't see how that's your business.

We've transitioned into stupid comments now. It's time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">