• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pretty sure already-Need second thoughts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Froyn

What is the name of your state? Michigan

As I am already aware, Michigan is an at-will state. With that, employees can be fired for any reason at any time. Does this change if the corporation you are employed with operates nationally? I was just discharged from my job as a Technical Support Representative (Call Center position with a major cable company) for posting to my personal blog at work. This appears to be a growing trend. In our Employee handbook it does not state that posting to a blog is against company policy, nor did any of the management I ask tell me otherwise. I was employed with this LARGE company for the past 2 1/2 years. During this time I have been avoiding a single manager at that location. (By avoiding, I mean that I was bidding schedules, so that he would not be my manager.) 2 months ago I was placed on his team due to a shuffle in management. During the time I was on his team, my call reviews went from 3 a month up to 15+. I was also reprimanded for a poor customer interraction during my first month on his team. Had I maintained my employment there, this would have been the second month I was on his team.

I had specifically requested to not be assigned to him the moment I found out I was to be working under him. That request went un-noticed and was only mentioned one other time. Does the employer have any responsibility to it's employees to ensure that management harassment does not occur?

I'm already anticipating the response of "head to the unemployment line on Monday", but I do appreciate any response that you might have.

BTW: The letter of termination that was UPS'd to my place of residence stated: "...termination due to continued disregard of company policies including but not limited to the Conduct and Electronic Security policies." It was also signed by the same manager.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Head to the unemployment line on Monday.

The fact that the company operates nationally changes nothing. First YOU are subject to Michigan law. Secondly, 48 other states besides Michigan are also at-will states. Finally, you are not being fired at-will; you are being fired for using company time and resources to update your personal blog. This is a perfectly acceptable reason to fire you. There doesn't need for there to be a written company policy or anything in the company handbook for you to logically assume that taking care of your personal business while on company time is a no-no. It might be occasionally necessary to make a doctor's appointment or talk to your kid's teacher while at work; that doesn't mean they have to allow you time away from your job duties to post to your personal blog.

The company has no legal obligation to assign you to the manager you want or refrain from assigning you to a manager you do not like. Nothing in your post suggests that any illegal harassment was taking place.

Froyn

I'm sorry for not being clearer. The posts were made on my breaks/lunches. NOT during my working times.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even so, it is still not illegal to fire you for that. You will probably (only an adjudicator from your state can say for sure) be eligible for unemployment.

longneck

you moron. you posted on a PUBLIC webiste that your manager is an asshaht, and now you're bitching that you were fired?

you have no case. there is no law that says a company has to equally, or even correctly, enforce its own internal policies. you posted that you manager is an asshat on a public website, using a company computer. it doesn't matter if you were on break at the time, you were still using copmany resources to do it.

besides which, it wouldn't have mattered if you had done it with your personal computer at home. YOU CALLED YOUR MANAGER AN ASSHAT!

of course you got the ax!

FYI, to prove defemation of character, you have to prove the person did it ON PURPOSE sepcifically to hurt you, and you have to show ACTUAL DAMAGES.

get a life.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination does not mean what you evidently think it means.

The legal definition of a wrongful term is one in which a specific law prohibits the employer from terming you for the reason they did.

You do not have a case for defamation of character and you do not have a case for wrongful termination.

Give it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">