• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronb2nd

previous employer

I currently live in Nevada, my previous employer issued me an iPad actually gave it to me I never signed any paperwork for it they let me to believe that it was mine then I get terminated and now they're asking for it back I have purchased over $300 in apps on that device. again there's nothing signed do I have to get the item back? please advise thank you

OHRoadwarrior

Unless you have something indicating it was given to you as a gift, it is a tool supplied by your employer. Give it back. If you had a key to the building, that is not yours either. Nor is the company car.

ronb2nd

I understand that but if i do not give it back it is a civil suite right. Ok honestly my wife left me and took the thing when they fired me i tried to pay for it and told them my wife took it. They text me today saying that of i don't have out back tomorrow they are going to notify law enforcement. I just need to know for sure it will be a civil suite right?

quincy

I understand that but if i do not give it back it is a civil suite right. Ok honestly my wife left me and took the thing when they fired me i tried to pay for it and told them my wife took it. They text me today saying that of i don't have out back tomorrow they are going to notify law enforcement. I just need to know for sure it will be a civil suite right?
It sounds more like theft, which is criminal.

justalayman

so first you argue you don't want to give it back because you purchased $300 of apps that you have on the device. Then you make a big change to you can't give it back because your wife took it when she left.

I would start with telling the wife to return it before you call the police to report it being stolen from you.

are you saying the company refused to accept your money for the device? or was it they wanted more than you were offering?

and depending on how the prosecutor feels, you could be charged with a crime.

ronb2nd

Ok when i was getting fired my ex boss said at first after i told him that i have purchased over three hundred dollars on apps and music that i could just purchase the i pad. I said that would be perfect please take funds out of my last check. Then he decides he does not want to do that. Look i know what you all are trying to say and understand your views. I am asking about the law here not what your feelings are on the situation. Please answer the question. To my knowledge they originally have me the i pad whichthey are saying is worth 350.00 I am not trying to take the device or keep the device the truth is i do not have it in my possession. And i have also purchased over 300.00 on apps and music. So this is a civil suite that they will have to file in small claims court which is pricy and not worth there time this i was told from a person who knows Nevada law. All i want to know is is this true or not. Please answer the question in detail please.

ronb2nd

I also know that he Gave it to me because he never had me sign a paper when it was issued and the i pad is registered to me. They also gave me a chromebook which is registered to me on the chromebook web site which i did return the day i was terminated. They would always refer to the i pad as mine like "can you send me the estimate from your i pad" is what my boss would say. I believe they gave it to me and now are making a big deal out of it because they wrongfully terminated me. I have been trying to get it back from the wife and should get it back today. Please answer the question. Is this acivil suite because they gave me the i pad nothing was signed, it cannot be theft because they gave it to me. I did not steal anything!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. What do you believe was wrongful about your termination? What law do you believe was violated by firing you?

eerelations

Your "is this a civil suite" [sic] question has been answered several times. I will answer it once more for you. Yes they may sue in civil court over this. However, it may also be a criminal case - it depends whether or not the DA decides to charge you with theft.

Please do not ask us this question again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you do not give it back they can sue you in civil court, if that is what you are trying to say.

They'll win, too. Just because they referred to it as "your" iPad in a work context does not mean it was a gift. Neither does the fact that you purchased apps for it. The other day my boss told me to take "my" laptop home with me in case I had to work from home during the snowstorm, but that doesn't mean that I own it. It means that I am to take the one I use for work purposes and not a different one. The employer still owns it and if I leave, it stays here.

So does "your" iPad.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also know that he Gave it to me because he never had me sign a paper when it was issued and the i pad is registered to me. They also gave me a chromebook which is registered to me on the chromebook web site which i did return the day i was terminated. They would always refer to the i pad as mine like "can you send me the estimate from your i pad" is what my boss would say. I believe they gave it to me and now are making a big deal out of it because they wrongfully terminated me. I have been trying to get it back from the wife and should get it back today. Please answer the question. Is this acivil suite because they gave me the i pad nothing was signed, it cannot be theft because they gave it to me. I did not steal anything!
I use a computer at work. Folks tell me to send them this or that from "your computer" all the time. That doesn't mean I own it.

This may be a civil action and it may be a criminal action. It can be both, they are not mutually exclusive. And, as to small claims being too expensive: You're kidding, right? Folks sue over much less all the time.

Why do you believe you were wrongfully terminated?

ronb2nd

I was wrongfully terminated because they are trying to say that i purchased items for personnel use with company funds. I make a lot of purchases from home depot and i always put my personnel items aside and pay for them myself. Well this one time i was at self check out and forgot my 10% off coupon in the truck. The self check out lady continued to ring up Items and included the 1 bottle if leather cleaner a soda and a candy bar on the purchase. Being a project manager and having two seperate projects going at once i was in a hurry and gave to cashier my coupon not thinking of items took bags to proceed to project that was in progress. When i got to project i noticed items were on receipt and did not expense it to remind myself to inform them of purchase and return product and pay them for the soda and candy bar. Two weeks goes by and by boss cones to me yelling at me saying what the f is this... I simply forgot to inform them so he writes me up and says if i ever do it again he will fire me. Ok so again at home depot around the same time maybe a few days later. I was going to purchase a bottle of leather cleaner and did not have the funds with me so at the self check out the lady included it in the purchase and i told her to please take the cleaner off because out had to be separate from purchase. Then i decided i did not want it due to having no funds. She did not remove product from receipt. So i know how it looks but this is the truth. Any way i was wrote up on the 4th of Feb four the firstincident i never did out again after that the incident they fired me for was on the 28th of sayer being before the first write up i was terminated on the 11th of February so i never did it again as instructed the incident they fired mefor was before first write up. Please excuse my Grammer as i am using a cell phone to respond

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">