• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Employer black balling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frustrated1

Texas

My previous employer called my "potential" new boss and stated "before you hire so-and-so you need to call me first". I have worked with this potential new boss before and he admires my work. (why else would he want to hire me)

I was let go from my previous employer because of medical, though they claim performance...long story and I have documented their lies.

Both my old employer and the potential new employer have worked together under letter of intent between the two companies. No contract existed at the time.

Is this black-balling? Defamation?

Q

qadaq

I'm not sure this is defamation or black-balling yet. He just said "you need to call me". Why? Does he want to make sure your new boss knows what accomodations you will require for your medical condition? Does he want you on his personal account? Does he want to recommend a pay level higher than what is standard? Are you subject to recall? Does he want to make sure the guy knows what processes you know about are patented or proprietary? I'm not sure that can be construed as a negative statement.

Now who cares what he says about you? You just show your new boss the documentation and the other guy looks like a jerk.

F

frustrated1

Potential new boss was already well aware of the medical condition and any accomodations.

Higher pay level...Not hardly. Not subject to recall and no proprietary info, etc. They eliminated me because of medical but claim performance (at least, that was the 2nd story they gave)...have gone thru HR and didn't make any friends so to speak. They will lose in court on wrongful dismissal and they know it. Just wondering considering the background if I could/should add this to the list.

My understanding was that legally the previous employer can't say anything except that I did in fact work there and when.

JETX

frustrated1 said:
My understanding was that legally the previous employer can't say anything except that I did in fact work there and when.
Nope. Depending on the level of position being pursued, it is very common for a potential employer to contact the previous (or current) for references. I will add though that most employers will abide by your wishes if you request to NOT contact your current employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">