• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employer gave false information regarding hire dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andy8512

Mississippi--- my previous employer gave false and incorrect hire dates(over a year off), also gave a false position title, to a new prospect employer on a background check. This caused the new employer to withdraw their employment offer. What action should be taken to correct this issue and is there any kind of lawsuit to file on the previous employer for costing me a career? I have called and asked for them to correct the incorrect information but nothing has been done. I have my employee safety orientation cards dated with my hire date also have a my w 2 form from them on that year.

Mississippi--- my previous employer gave false and incorrect hire dates(over a year off), also gave a false position title, to a new prospect employer on a background check. This caused the new employer to withdraw their employment offer. What action should be taken to correct this issue and is there any kind of lawsuit to file on the previous employer for costing me a career? I have called and asked for them to correct the incorrect information but nothing has been done. I have my employee safety orientation cards dated with my hire date also have a my w 2 form from them on that year.
All you can do is ask them to correct it, if it is indeed inaccurate but what if anything would a previous employer gain from giving false information to a potentially new employer?

If you get it corrected then you may seek damages under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the reporting agency if the information is indeed found to be incorrect could false a rather large federal fine as well. Hard to prove damages but it can be done, good luck with it.

Andy8512

Thank you for your response. It will most defiantly, 110% sure be found incorrect. I have written verification of my hire date in April, along with my w2 form which I stated earlier. They reported to the background agency that I did not start work there until August of the following year and they seem to be sticking with that. Hopefully the only thing they gain from this is that large federal fine you speak of.

quincy

Thank you for your response. It will most defiantly, 110% sure be found incorrect. I have written verification of my hire date in April, along with my w2 form which I stated earlier. They reported to the background agency that I did not start work there until August of the following year and they seem to be sticking with that. Hopefully the only thing they gain from this is that large federal fine you speak of.
Why did your former employer lie about the hire date and the title of your position? How do you know the errors on your background report originated with the employer and not the background check company? Are you sure these errors are the only reason why you were denied a position with the prospective employer?

Andy8512

Quincy, I'm not sure if they are telling a lie or if there is a error in their system. Yes, I received a call from HR at the new employer telling me that my pre employment background screen did not check out. Told me my "employment dates were 15 months off, if they were only 2 or 3 months off we could let it go. But you're 15 MONTHS off!" I apologized and explained that it was a error on the company side of it. I called the company to correct the issue but they are sticking with the bogus hire date.

commentator

Could this have anything to do with your having worked as a temp-to-hire part of the time you were there? I am rather mystified about what could have you and your former employer so at odds on these dates, why they refuse to correct them, and how this could have cost you "a career" as you put it.

I agree with the prospective employer, if I checked hire dates and got something this variant, it would definitely cause me to rethink the job offer, but then what it gets down to is that what you showed them as verification of employment dates, they didn't think were valid enough. Why was that?

It sounds as though a very cursory effort was made by you to correct this information, and now you think you're going to what??? Report your former employer to the Bureau of Fairness and get them fined or something? Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act? I don't quite follow that at all. While you could theorectically sue them I think this would take a lot of time effort and money you may not have at present, since you're not working. Your state's Department of Labor may be able to help you with information about this issue.

Have you filed for unemployment insurance after working for the last company? If so, your benefit eligibility statement would demonstrate whether you had earnings from this company in the previous 18 months. Your company couldn't very well deny those dates if they were shown on your W-2 and your paycheck stubs (if you have those). Are you positive there's not a staffing agency involved here?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">