• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employer giving bad reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tahoegrl92

What is the name of your state? CA

My boyfriend had an interview the other day. During the interview the guy had asked him why he relocated. After he told him, the guy replied by saying that's not what your previous employer said. My boyfriend explained what went on and during his explanation the guy said you don't look like someone who would steal. He asked what do you mean? The guy said that his previous employer told him that he stole from the company which is not true! How can he get help on this matter? He can't find a job because his previous employer of 5 years is slandering him. He has lost potential jobs. Help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the previous employer is providing UNTRUE information in a reference as fact, then you may be able to file a civil suit against him. Consult a local attorney.

For the benefit of other readers of your post who may jump on this and decide it means they have a case too, I want to emphasize that this ONLY is the case when the information in the reference is FACTUALLY UNTRUE. It does NOT mean that you can sue for any bad reference; it does NOT mean you can sue if the employer offers an honest opinion which happens to be negative. It is only when the employer out and out lies (the fact that you do not agree with the information does not necessarily make it a lie) that you have any case for slander.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">