• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Employer Saying False Statements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetpea813

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello,

I quit my job at a company in July 2007. Since then, I have had a hard time obtaining a job. I have gotten 2nd and 3rd interviews but when it comes time to check my background to proceed with the hiring process, the potential employers change their mind with no explanation.

Because my previous company was sort of unethical, I got a friend (who happens to be a recruiter) to call to verify employment like she was a potential employer. She called back in shock at the things they said about me.

The person she spoke with told her I was fired when I actually quit. She also said that I am a high liability because I drive erratically and that I have tons of tickets when I have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident. She also said I ran up the company’s credit card for personal items before I left which is false.

I know a previous employer can answer questions beyond employment dates but I feel as though this is slander. Is there anything I can do?

JETX

Is there anything I can do?
You can have your friend put a written statement together recording the things that he was told.
Then, take his statement to a local employment attorney to see if you have sufficient cause for legal action.

quincy

It is slander to falsely accuse someone of committing a crime. If there is clear and convincing evidence that your former employer provided your potential employers with knowingly false and defamatory information about you, you could potentially sue this employer for defamation. Defamation actions can be costly, and are time-consuming, but your former employer seems to be damaging your chances for new employment by his comments. I would contact an attorney specializing in defamation and review all of the facts of your situation with him/her.

Florida Statute 768.095, mentioned by CO19 above, refers to false and defamatory information disclosed by employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">