• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Employment on Background Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanDare76

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I was hired by a small employer last summer. The total number of employees at that time was only 3. As I worked there, I realized how arrogant and controlling the owners were...they had fired everyone that had ever worked for them.

Anyway, at my 120 day review, I was given rave reviews, so I thought all was well. A month later, I was mailed (to my home) a termination letter. No explanation or reason was given whatsoever. I made one call the following day to the office and the lone employee said she was told not to speak with me. I was shocked, but I was aware that the employment was "at will", so I basically wanted nothing to ever do with that place again and to move on.

I am applying for a job at the Post Office and am worried about including that previous employment on my application. I am worried about what my previous employer might say if they are called about me. At the same time, I am an honest person and don't want to leave anything off the application.

If I were to leave it off, what are the chances the Post Office (or any other prospective employer) would find it during a background check?

If I were to include it, what are the chances that the Post Office (or any other prospective employer) will call them to find out the reason for termination?

I appreciate any advice....thanks so much.

Beth3

If I were to leave it off, what are the chances the Post Office (or any other prospective employer) would find it during a background check? Quite high.

If I were to include it, what are the chances that the Post Office (or any other prospective employer) will call them to find out the reason for termination? Again, quite high.

Leaving this period of employment off your resume or an application form is very chancy and likely a very poor idea. While the circumstances of your termination can be explained and are unlikely to pose much of a problem for you, lying during the recruiting process can cause you major difficulties and prevent an employer from hiring you or result in your being terminated if they find out about it after the fact.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no possible way of telling whether or not the PO will find it in a background check if you leave it off the application. It depends entirely on how deep a background check they do.

If they do find it, the chances are excellent that they will call your former employer. That does NOT mean that they won't hire you anyway.

However, if I were the one reading your application, the first thing I'd ask you is what you were doing during that gap in your employment. You would then have to either tell me about that employer, or lie about it.

If you told me upfront as soon as you were asked and explained why you left it off, I MIGHT consider hiring you anyway. But if you lied to me and I found out about it EVER, you'd be out the door so fast your pants would smoke.

It is MUCH easier for an employer to find out about previous employment that you omitted, than you might think. They might not find out pre-hire, but if they found out post hire and you had lied about it (regardless if it were a lie of commission or ommission) that's considered falsification of your application and is a firing offense. In many states, it also disqualifies you for unemployment.

So in the long run, you're better off telling them about it.

DanDare76

Thank you for your honest feedback, I've decided to include it on the application and hope for the best.....honesty is the best policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">