• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy concerns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nitesparkle

What is the name of your state? CA

I was terminated from my position as manager of a corporate restaurant this last week. I breached a rarely enforced policy (I will now be used as the example to enforce this policy), for which I will take full blame. But a few days after I left, I received a few calls from people who were my staff, telling me they knew about my termination several days before it happened. 2 of them quit quite unexpectedly and without notice the week before I was let go. I was told that they quit because they didn't like the way it was being handled and they didn't want to work for a company who handled issues like this in this manor.

My question is do I have any legal recourse against the company for breaking a confidentiality policy?? From what I understand, most of the staff knew this was about to happen and being the GM of the store, I find this an extreme case of evading my privacy. I also understand that they knew why I was being terminated.

Any help would be appreciated.

L.P.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No law says that you have to be the first one told of your termination. There are certain people who HAVE to know ahead of time; HR, Payroll, the management of your team, often someone in IT to disconnect computer access or deactivate a security card (and believe me, there are VERY good reasons for doing this before you are told of the termination), and that's just for starters.

It is next to impossible for word not to leak out. Telling someone who did not have a legitimate need to know is, as Lee told you, unprofessional but not illegal.

The reason for your termination is not considered confidential as far as the law is concerned.

No legal recourse here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">