• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy and employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nwandrie

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am currently employed but when my company announced they would be laying off some people in the near future due to financial cutbacks, I immediately posted my resume on monster.com just in case I got layed off. A headhunter in my industry called me to see if I needed help finding a job. When I declined, he called my boss to tell him my resume was posted on monster and my boss came to talk to me about it. I was very embarrassed and I now feel like the company sees me as disloyal and this could affect my future here. Do I have a right to take action against that headhunter?

Nick

Beth3

"Do I have a right to take action against that headhunter?"

No. What this recruiter did was completely unethical and not something a recruiter of any caliber would do. But..you did not have any kind of confidentiality agreement with the recruiter, nor have you suffered any damages as a result of his big mouth.

There are some great contingency recruiters out there and some really shady ones. I suggest you take your resume OFF monster.com and any other public boards where you've posted it and instead, get referrals from friends and acquaintances to specific recruiters they know of or have worked with that they found reputable and then contact them individually and let them know you're looking.

I hope you explained to your boss that you ONLY did that because the company had announced there were layoffs coming. Surely your management understands that news like that prompts people to prepare for the worst and start looking - it has nothing to do with "loyalty". If they don't understand that, then they're very foolish indeed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">