• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy rights violated??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purplady99

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I resigned from my position at a job after 3 1/2 years....due to (well thats a whole other story) but main inquiry is regarding mail addressed to myself from the human resources dept of company employed by. This envelope was clearly marked "PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL" and also in return address showed it was from the 401k dept. This was delivered interoffice mail which is normal method for quarterly statements. When I received my personal belongings from my desk....This envelope was opened with a note attached from my former supervisor stating he had opened this because he thought it had something to do with health/medical benefits due to my resignation. Even if it did have something to do with medical benefits ....IT would still CONFIDENTIAL..... Is there anything I can do about this? Please advise......

HomeGuru

purplady99 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I resigned from my position at a job after 3 1/2 years....due to (well thats a whole other story) but main inquiry is regarding mail addressed to myself from the human resources dept of company employed by. This envelope was clearly marked "PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL" and also in return address showed it was from the 401k dept. This was delivered interoffice mail which is normal method for quarterly statements. When I received my personal belongings from my desk....This envelope was opened with a note attached from my former supervisor stating he had opened this because he thought it had something to do with health/medical benefits due to my resignation. Even if it did have something to do with medical benefits ....IT would still CONFIDENTIAL..... Is there anything I can do about this? Please advise......
**A: what was in the envelope and what do you want to do about it?

P

purplady99

It was my 401k/cash share account information.....
I guess my main point is that
1. It was clearly addressed/and "P&C"
2. Return address of sender and dept clearly marked
3. IT WAS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!!!
4. The reason given for opening was obvious lie.
5. Just another fine example of how things were being run
in my department ........that led me to the point I am at today.
6. Confidentiality in my department was non existent.....Sups discussed employee issues with other workers in dept with no regard.....As far as I know they passed my financial information around the department for everyone to view.....
7. Also, another letter addressed to me from a supervisor I had interviewed with the previous week...different department (unfortunately did not get that job) had been opened....and resealed.......

As far as what I want to do about it? I want to know ....do I go directly to the manager of department to report this violation ...or go to Human Resources? or Human Resources and cc everyone down the line.....

Any suggestions.....?

R

Ramoth

I am assuming that the mail was addressed with your name and the company's address. If this is the case, the mail was properly delivered, and the company was within it's rights to open the mail. No laws were broken, and probably no company policies either.

Beth3

purplady, just let it go. If you want to complain to human resources, you may do so but this simply isn't a major issue nor have any laws been broken.

P.S. If your supervisor had really intended to invade your personal business, he wouldn't have left a note on the envelope explaining what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">