• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy violation???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katrinam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

The day before I was to be terminated (unknown to me), my manager told another employee - at my level, a peer - that I was about to be fired and the reasons why. This employee is a friend of mine, so he called me that evening to warn me, but it appears that this manager shared this information with several people, as it is now a topic of hot gossip. The next day, I was terminated.

I work for a company that is extremely secretive. I contacted my HR rep and explained the situation, but so far, no action has been taken and a week has passed. I am wondering how to proceed from here.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

The day before I was to be terminated (unknown to me), my manager told another employee - at my level, a peer - that I was about to be fired and the reasons why. This employee is a friend of mine, so he called me that evening to warn me, but it appears that this manager shared this information with several people, as it is now a topic of hot gossip. The next day, I was terminated.

I work for a company that is extremely secretive. I contacted my HR rep and explained the situation, but so far, no action has been taken and a week has passed. I am wondering how to proceed from here.
Spruce up your resume and look for a new job.

pattytx

What makes you think a company has to keep the reasons for firing someone secret?
Or even tell someone else before they tell you?

I don't know what you're expecting HR to do, except maybe tell that manager to keep his mouth shut in the future.

eerelations

Your manager/former employer did not violate any laws. Being "extremely secretive" is not a legal precedent. You have no legal recourse here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No action needs to be taken. No laws were violated. No "rights to privacy" were violated. Outside of certain medical information, you have next to no legal expectation of privacy or confidentiality in the workplace.

It *may* have been poor management; not enough details to say. But poor management is not illegal. If by "how to proceed from here" you mean, "what legal action can I take" the answer is, none.

commentator

File for your unemployment benefits. They will give you a decision on whether you are approved or not based on the reason for termination. There will be no issue whatsoever about whether you were the first to know you were being terminated or the fifteenth. Unprofessional maybe, but not illegal. Perhaps gave you a day or two or extra warning to collect your posessions and get your personal items before the axe fell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">