• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Violation with Potential Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousfemale

What is the name of your state? CA

Can the vice president of a company question information on my background check to my potential supervisor who is not allowed to view my background check?

Beth3

Who is not "allowed" to see your background check? The VP or your potential supervisor? And why ever not? You need to explain the situation further.

curiousfemale

THe VP of my potential employer HR department runs a bacground check. The VPof the company of course gets to see it to make a decision as to whether to hire me or not. Without my knowledge and without first questioning me, that same VP asks the store manager of where I will be the Assistant Manager whether she knows anything about it. Although she and I have worked together in the past, and thankfully she is familiar with what is on my record, a wet wreckless driving, I do not believe she has to rights to be questioned on the incident. They didn't know she knew, how dare they ask her the details right? Is there any violation?

BelizeBreeze

What you believe and what the law allows are two different things. Your 'record' is public information. Nothing illegal has transpired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is not even remotely any violation. They may legally inquire of anyone they want.

curiousfemale

So I could hire someone that is friends with someone already working in my office and walk up to my coworker and say "Did you know so and so has a DUI?" Somehow, that just does not seem right? Is this how I am understanding this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may not be "right" in the sense of moral or ethical, but there is nothing illegal about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">