• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PRN/Supplemental worker just Received a Termination letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sika

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hi, I'm in Texas, I work as PRN/Supplemental in the health care field and just received a termination letter form my employer because I have not worked since January of this year. The reason why I have not worked since January is that I'm schooling in another town which my boss is all ready aware of it. What right to I have here and also I had accumulated some PTO hours and want to know if they're going to pay me for those hours.

Beth3

You'll need to ask your employer. Under the Texas Payday Law, employers are only obligated to pay out vacation/PTO upon separation if they have a policy or practice of doing so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm curious - just how long did you think the employer was obligated to hold your job open? (Which, by the way, he was not - if he's held your job from January through June, that's six months longer than he was required to do so.)

Beth3

What right do I have here I missed this question. The answer is none. Why would your employer keep you on the payroll when you're not even available for work and haven't worked in six months? As cbg said, they kept you on their records as an employee six months longer than they had to.

sika

I know I haven't worked in six months, but i'm a PRN and not a full time or a part time employer. I worked with this company for three years now and I'm the one who used to call my boss with my availabilities. Anyways, thanks to you all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do realize, don't you, that if your boss allowed you to call him with your availabilities instead of him telling you when he wanted you to work and firing you if you didn't do so, that was a courtesy on his part and not a right?

If you haven't worked for six months he has every right to fire you.

Betty

Certainly, based on what you posted, your employer did not do anything illegal. Six months is a long time not to have worked - termination is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">