• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probablity of deing terminated before hiring??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpneeded77

Probablity of being terminated before hiring??

:confused: What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi,
I am a medical student, graduated last year. I applied for residency position(post graduate training) back in Sept 2003 and had about 18 interviews. I attended an interview at this one place on Nov 12 and they were happy to have me for training starting July 2004.(Residency training for most hospitals start at that time even though interviews are conducted during Nov, Dec and Jan).
they called me on Nov 21, 2003 and offered a postion to train with them and since i accepted the offer, i cancelled about 13 interviews since there was no point. The Department and myself signed a pre-match agreement that i am accepting this postion and no longer would participate in the interviews for other programs and i am no longer in contention for residecny positions at other places. This document was signed by me in front of a notary. This was an agreement with the department.
Probably in January i received an official contract with the hospital that i am willing to join their hospital to train in that particular department for a period of 3 years with a annual compensation of xx,xxx.xx dollars. The contract has only one requirement from my side ,ie., to secure a temporary training license from the state licensing board. I got my license in May 2004.
I had a DUI in my history with a BAC of 0.09 back in April 2004. I mentioned this to the licensing board at the time of submitting my application for a license, and the department also knows about this issue probably sometime in March as i disclosed this information.
I started attending the orientation for my training on June 20, 2004, and i attended a week of training, and at this time the department of human resources wanted me to sign a form where i have to testify that i do not have any history of convictions and in case at any time during the time of employment they find anything in my record, that can be a ground for immediate termination.
I told them that i cannot sign that document since i have a DUI and tehy can hold me on grounds of penalty of perjury which is a felony if i sign that document. The lady was very rude and reckless and she insists on me signing that document. I spoke to my Program Director at this point and he talked to her and finally she made me sign a document where i am willing to have a background checjk done on me.
According to this lady she says that a felony and a misdemeanor like DUI are treated the same by the county government and since this is a county hospital, this means that if my background check is positive, they would not put me on payroll.
I spoke to my program director again and he says that they came accross things like these before and he doesnt think there would be a problem, but he adds that he will find out. 3 days passed since they made me sign that form for a background check, did not hear from anyone on this and i am fixing to attend my second week of orientation tomorrow.
I have no idea whats going to happen tomorrow, i know i made a grave mistake in my life but i did everything possible to get out of it. I did not touch alcohol since 14 months, i never even had a speeding ticket.
I am feeling miserable at this point and i would appreciate any advice from experienced people at this point of time on what sort of legal actions i can take.
The contracts i signed never mentioned anything about fulfilling this particular requirement by the county. I wouldnthave been in this situation if i choose to do my training in any other hospital in the state, because no other hopsital comes under the county. I wouldnt have choosen this place if i knew about this requirement.
Nows its too late for me to find a position at a different place. This means i am loosing 1 yr and that means a lot of financial setbacks for me.

Last edited:

H

helpneeded77

Still looking for help

I am sad that no one has any advice for me.
I am feeling helpless and still waiting for a report of background check.
I do not know what my future is going to be like.

divgradcurl

I understand that you are stressed out about this, but nothing has happened yet. They haven't fired you or anything. Wait until everything is done -- THEN if you have a problem, maybe something can be done. No use worrying about the "what ifs" right now -- wait and see if it turns out wrong first.

You Are Guilty

What luck, my crystal ball just recently unfogged itself again and it says....

My crystal ball said:
We'll be seeing you post again real soon... in the Medical Malpractice section!

Sorry - my crystal ball gets moody when pressed into duty before it has its morning coffee.

justus

I'm not sure about your state but I have been in the HR field in Oregon for 6 years. I have worked for a company where we background screen all of our appliants. In Oregon you can't not hire someone for a DUI unless they are applying for a driving position. The conviction has to be for something that would be considered a threat to the work place. For example, if someone were to come in with something violent on their background I wouldn't be able to hire them. Any way, our corporate offices are in MI and I think it's the same there so I don't know if it's the same everywhere or not.

Any way, hope this gives you some hope.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"I don't know if it's the same everywhere or not. "

It's not. State law on this is all over the map.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">