• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troybrocato

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

My wife was told during her interviewing process, with her current employer, that she would have to achieve a 90 business day probationary period without missing any days of work or have any tardiness. She currently has achieved 40 business days of said probationary period without any missed days or tardiness. Seven months ago we were blessed with an addition to our family. My daughter Serenity needs to goto her appointed anual checkup. Upon employment with my wife's company she informed her future manager that this event would take place in June. Today my wife made the appointment with the doctors office for June 14, 2005. Upon informing her manager of the event she was told to write this in an email, sending it to her manager. My wife recieved an email back informing her that she would be written up for the event and it would be placed in her permanent employment folder. Upon filling out the employment documents when she was hired, at no time did my wife sign a document acknowledging a 90 business day probationary period. Being that Maryland is an " at will of employer " state, and ther is no employment contract or documentation explaning the probationary period. What are our rights and what should we do if this results in termination of employment?

Thank You

Troy

Beth3

If your wife's employer wishes to hold newly hired employees to a standard of perfect attendance during their first 90 days, they may. They are not required to give your wife time off to take your daughter to the doctor's for a checkup. While I understand your wife's desire to be present at the appointment, under the circumstances perhaps you should be the one to take the baby to the doctor.

Upon filling out the employment documents when she was hired, at no time did my wife sign a document acknowledging a 90 business day probationary period. That's irrelevant.

What are our rights Your wife has the right to choose to miss work and to experience whatever consequences her employer may decide to invoke.

and what should we do if this results in termination of employment? Look for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">