• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Detler

I was recently hired by a manufacturing company as a salaried employee. During the hiring negotiations we reached an agreement for "X" amount of annual salary. During the interview I was informed that I would be on probation for 90 days. During the Thanksgiving holidays the owner of the company decided it was slow this year and gave the company the following Friday off in addition. The next week I get my paycheck I see those two days were deducted. When I inquired, I was told that I have not yet finished my 90 probation and that I am not entitled to holiday pay until after my probationary period.

My concern is that at the hiring interview I agreed to work for this company for a predetermined annual amount of money. By the company not following through by reducing the amount of the agreed annual salary by not paying me for two holidays, aren't they in breach of implied contract? And aren't I entitled to receive compensation for those two days?

No employment handbook was given to me and I had not signed any affidavits or waivers stating that I would not receive pay during holidays while on probation. P

T

troynsam

A probationary period is standard policy for many companies. The probationary period is usually outlined in a company handbook, or a policies and procedures manual. It also usually states that regular benefits applied to full-time employees are subject to expiration of the probationary period date. Check your handbook or manual for information regarding this. You will probably find your answer there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">