• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedure not followed for my termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kliou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
The company HQ is in California. It is one of the largest companies in US.

I just received the Work Force Reduction notice that affected my position. I know I am an “at-will” employee and the Texas law is not very friendly to employees. But I have some question about the procedure:

1/5/2010 - I had a meeting with my manager about my performance evaluation. I was given a B- rating and I would get no bonus. He told me I could go to the company HR web site to comment on my rating. I signed the evaluation form in his office.

1/11/2010 - I got the WFR notice. My manager told me it’s based on my rating and the tough company finance situation. I went to the company HR web site to look up my performance rating. I found “Your manager has not release your performance rating…”. There was nothing I could do there.

It is unusual because I should be able to comment on or appeal my performance rating before it is final.

I’d like some advice if I have any legal ground to fight for my termination or to negotiate for a better severance package. If I have, I would like to act ASAP.

Thank you.

pattytx

There is no law that is going to force the employer to let you comment, online or otherwise, on your performance appraisal (if this is a company policy, policies almost never rise to the level of enforceable contractual obligations). This is just not an area addressed by law. And there has been no law violated in your termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">