• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promotion & salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ungie99

I work in Massachusetts, and our parent company is in New York. I am up for a promotion. The position was also advertised to the outside world. They advertised the position at $65k a year. The hiring manager informed me today the company policy is that a promotion can only include an increase in salary of 10-15%, which would put me more that $20k below the advertised salary for the position.
Is that legal? It seems to be that I should be eligible for the same amount of money as an outsider!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may not be fair, but it is legal. Legally, they do not need to offer you any increase at all.

lexi48

Promotion

I agree with you that you should be entitled to the same salary as a new person walking into the position but cbg is right. You stated you were told it was company policy to give a raise of 10-15%. I have known people who were promoted but did not recieve an increase in pay at all. With companies tightening their belts raises are getting smaller so be glad if you do get it and the raise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">