• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Propationary Employee Rights Annapolis Md

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JLUNENFELD

I have a friend who just recived his 90 day review. He works at an hotel in Annapolis, MD as the Chief Engineer. According to my friend, he received all satifactory ratings on the review. His manager then told him that he did not generate enough work , he called it punch lists. His manager decided to demote him to Building Engineer and reduce is salary by 20% ($10,000). All through his probation period he worked long hours and corrected many problems that were neglected for several years.

I don't think this ethical not to mention legal. I believe he received an offer letter which stated his salary and title. What recourse does he have if any other then getting a new job.

HomeGuru

JLUNENFELD said:
I have a friend who just recived his 90 day review. He works at an hotel in Annapolis, MD as the Chief Engineer. According to my friend, he received all satifactory ratings on the review. His manager then told him that he did not generate enough work , he called it punch lists. His manager decided to demote him to Building Engineer and reduce is salary by 20% ($10,000). All through his probation period he worked long hours and corrected many problems that were neglected for several years.

I don't think this ethical not to mention legal. I believe he received an offer letter which stated his salary and title. What recourse does he have if any other then getting a new job.
**A: he has no recourse.

mlane58

As HG stated, he has no recourse as there wasn't anything done illegaly. An offer letter is just that, an offer letter and not a contract for employment. He is considered an at-will employee and can be demoted or terminated by the employer for any reason as long as it doens't voilate Title VII for his race, gender, religion, etc......

JLUNENFELD

Recourse On Demotion/salary Reduction, Annapolis, Md

I understand about at-will, however, if his review was satisfactory, why would his employer demote him and reduce his salary as well? Don't you think that is very extreme. In all the years I have been employed I was never demoted or my salary reduced after a 90 day propation. I could understand after six months or a year, that if they did not like his performance then they could demote him or reduce is salary somewhat, but after some discussion. That is the purpose of a job review. Who in their right mind would except a demotion and a 20% reduction and be satisfied with that. That is no way to keep an employee, which they will lose over this stupidity.

I suspect there was some budget cutting measure from the higher ups nd they decided to cut his salary. It may be lawfull (although) I am not so sure, but it is certainly reprehensible not to mention unethical. Thank you

mlane58

JLUNENFELD said:
I understand about at-will, however, if his review was satisfactory, why would his employer demote him and reduce his salary as well? Don't you think that is very extreme. In all the years I have been employed I was never demoted or my salary reduced after a 90 day propation. I could understand after six months or a year, that if they did not like his performance then they could demote him or reduce is salary somewhat, but after some discussion. That is the purpose of a job review. Who in their right mind would except a demotion and a 20% reduction and be satisfied with that. That is no way to keep an employee, which they will lose over this stupidity.

I suspect there was some budget cutting measure from the higher ups nd they decided to cut his salary. It may be lawfull (although) I am not so sure, but it is certainly reprehensible not to mention unethical. Thank you
Well with all that said, it still doesn't change my answer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">