• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publicly laid off and more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZanderV22

I am working for a company that is very large and has many deals with the government. My current job is over seas but it is a U.S. based company.

The problem I have is that my supervisor has been jerking me around on if I am going to be laid off or not and if the job is going to end soon or not. The situation goes something like this. He will say that it is set in stone I am laid off in December and then the next day he will come back and say that I could be staying until March of 2010. He has done this numerous times.

Another problem is that I am working on a five person team. A few weeks ago he called a meeting telling us all that 2 of use would be laid off in December. He didn't know which two at the time. Not long after he calls another meeting and names both my co-worker and I as the two to be laid off. Is it against the law to publicly announce someone being laid off by name?

Thank you in advanced for any help you are able to provide me.

pattytx

1. So?

2. Of course it isn't. The employer could put the announcement on a billboard on the interstate if he wanted to.

xylene

It is difficult to say if US laws apply to your situation.

While the posters above are correct, they are omitting the the fact that depending on the exact circumstances, threatening lay offs / termination and then rescinding those threats, using threats of lay off as a shaming may amount to workplace harassment and / or bullying,

mlane58

It is difficult to say if US laws apply to your situation.

While the posters above are correct, they are omitting the the fact that depending on the exact circumstances, threatening lay offs / termination and then rescinding those threats, using threats of lay off as a shaming may amount to workplace harassment and / or bullying,
And unless that workplace harassment and / or bullying, is because of someone's protected characterisic, then it isn't illegal

xylene

And unless that workplace harassment and / or bullying, is because of someone's protected characterisic, then it isn't illegal
It is unclear if US law even applies.

Illegal discrimination has not been disestablished. The poster said he works abroad. Amazingly some countries have EVEN MORE progressive laws...

"Your fired - oh I take it back." "Somebody is on my can list - points at OP" Clearly these are not the characteristics of a workplace that should be automatically assumed to be so above board that publicly shaming an employee via billboard could be justified... :rolleyes:

mlane58

It is unclear if US law even applies.

Illegal discrimination has not been disestablished. The poster said he works abroad. Amazingly some countries have EVEN MORE progressive laws...

"Your fired - oh I take it back." "Somebody is on my can list - points at OP" Clearly these are not the characteristics of a workplace that should be automatically assumed to be so above board that publicly shaming an employee via billboard could be justified... :rolleyes:
When it is a U.S. federal contract aboard with the DOD or other U.S. government agency, U.S. laws do apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">