• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Put in 2 weeks, then got threatened, then made me go home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xnofriendsx

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
This is in regards to me putting in my 2 weeks and then getting fired/sent home immediately and threatened/cussed out.

Today i went into work and wanted to put in my 2 weeks notice when i was about to leave at 4pm. At 830am this morning, my office manager answered the phone and it was our boss saying he was going to be in at 930am. I wanted to tell my boss in person about me putting in my 2 weeks notice, but my office manger told my boss over the phone that he needed to hurry and get there because "I needed to talk to him and all of us about something important". (My office manager "was" my friend and knew that i was going to be putting in my two weeks notice). So he asked me to talk to him over the phone about what was so important and i then decided to tell him i was putting in my 2 weeks notice. He then FLIPPED out and cussed me out. He said that he didn't want to see my "f***-in" face when he gets there at 9:30. He then threatened to sue me if i took any of his paperwork for his patients and basically just said goodbye.
So i was way to scared to stay there, so i left for home. The office manager called when i got home and said they will be mailing my check.
So what i was wondering was..
1. Is this legal what my boss did?
2. What should i do about his actions/threats?
3. Should i still be able to receive 2 weeks paid?

Or what actions do i need to take regarding this because it is as if i got fired and all i wanted to do what do the right thing and put in my 2 weeks notice. If my boss would have found another person to hire 1 week from now, that would have been great and i could have stopped working then. But i am actually fearful of my boss now.
What should i do?

Thanks.

Beth3

1. Is this legal what my boss did? It was less than professional but it was legal.

2. What should i do about his actions/threats? Ignore them.

3. Should i still be able to receive 2 weeks paid? No. You need only be paid for the time you actually worked.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Yes, it is legal. Professional no, legal yes.

2.) Nothing.

3.) That's up to your employer. The law does not require them to pay you for notice time you do not work, even if it's because the employer sent you home. Many employers WILL pay an employee for their notice period even when it's not worked. If yours does not, then depending on the law in your state you MIGHT be eligible for unemployment for the notice time.

BTW,you were not fired. You resigned, and your resignation was accepted immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">