• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

put on probation forced out of job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gramzada

wisconsin
I was formerly an IT systems manager in an extremely aggressive company. About one year ago my director became frustrated with me because other project managers were coming to me for advice and direction instead of him. An argument between my director and me followed. I documented this and reported it to HR. During the review period I had no work objective set for me by my director to which success could be measured. Shortly after the review period was over, my director called a meeting to tell me that I would get a bad review. I have received many very good reviews up until this point. I was also put on probation. Lack of communication was cited on the review. I recieved an RI (req'd improvment), and 90 days to resolve or be terminated. There were many extremely unreasonable (as compared to other mangers) requirments stated in the probation conditions, which I cited in my rebuttal. Basically HR and management said either perform or be fired. two weeks later I got another job and put in my notice. I think that this was retaliation for my reporting my director to HR and affecting his HR file. This is the main thrust of the problem I believe. Are there any legal avenues to pursue here?

Beth3

"Are there any legal avenues to pursue here?" No. Nothing you describe remotely suggests anything illegal has taken place at any step along the way.

G

gramzada

The only other fishey part about this is that during the bad times, my director indicated that the job I occupied for three years, was never originally posted within or outside the company prior to offering it to me and my accepting it. Someone on my staff was aware of this and filed complains about it. I am also concerned that the company was trying to cover up a former mistake.

Beth3

That's still not illegal. No laws compel an employer to advertise job openings internally or externally.

The long and short of your situation is that you and the boss didn't get along. Your complained to HR however they either (a) agreed with your boss, or (b) were unable or unwilling to intervene. It doesn't matter who is right as none of this is illegal.

Good luck on your new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">