• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

qualifying for whistle blower protection -NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

denmark

What is the name of your state?NY
I work for a manufacturing company and our President approved the shipment of product that did not meet my customer's written specifications (our material exceeded the maximum thickness tolerance allowed).
I informed our President that the material did not meet the customer's specs and should not be shipped.
He authorized the shipment, I then informed a member of our board of directors of his decision, as I feel it is a breech of contract with our customer and will jeiopardize future orders from this customer, should they inspect the material and reject it.
I am an employee at will (I am in sales and this customer is my account) -- Am I protected under the whistle blower protection act - or any other?

Thank you for your assistance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To the best of my understanding, even in those states (of which NY is apparently one) where internal complaints are protected, such protection is limited to complaints of ILLEGAL activity. If my understanding of the definition is correct, you would NOT be protected under whistleblower law since what you complained of is not illegal.

Since NY is one of the few states that offers any protection for internal complaints at all, if any adverse action is taken towards you I would advise you to check with a local attorney. I doubt you will find that you have any protections, however.

Unfair? Possibly. But everything that is unfair is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">